Thursday, September 20, 2012

"Woman." There. I said it. I think I must have been in my late thirties or early forties before I could even say the word. I remember finding ways to avoid using it. Felt so uncomfortable - almost like an obscenity. What's up with that?

Could it be that it meant something that few people, especially me, could really figure out? I mean, we all know what to do with a girl and maybe even how to be a girl. But, a woman? A woman is something that we can't quite fit into a comfortable box. A woman is established, rooted, knows herself and her mind. A woman has lived long enough (regardless of the number of years) to know that life is more than sexuality or physical attractiveness. A woman knows that the opinions of others are of great value, but are not to inflict any feelings of self-consciousness or abasement. A woman lives secure.

I believe men need courses in how to relate to a woman, and women need courses in how to be a woman. It is not an easy thing to grow old, especially as a woman. To know how to claim value beyond youth is critical.

I used to say "you go, girl!" But, I think I'll change it to "you go, woman!"

1 comment: