Wednesday, October 3, 2012

"October is national .... " gulp ... I hear the phrase beginning. My stomach tightens, my heart pounds, my attitude changes to defense as I prepare to hear the rest of it regarding the disease that shall, in my household, right or wrong, remain unnamed. Happened this morning as I was watching the video of the WKBT morning anchor who was presenting a response to a critical email she had received. But as she began the phrase "October is national ... she surprised and relieved and rallied me by saying "October is national Anti-Bullying Month." Hmmm. A relief, but also a sort of call to arms that I can better speak to.

I guess what bothers me about Pink October is that though we do gain in funding and enlightenment, and are given opportunities to honor and remember women who have been pounded by this disease, the disease is not going to learn anything from pink awareness.

Bullying, on the other hand - I think we're on to something. I sat beside my husband on the couch this morning and said that I find it interesting that in the Bible there are specific instances of God revealing what is desired of our words and speech, that our lips are referred to frequently in Scripture ... the touch of burning coals to the lips to remove guilt and atone for sin and inspire speech which praises God, and the closing of the mouth of Zechariah when he doubted the words of the angel Gabriel, for example. Until the birth of John was revealed as true and Zechariah could speak praise, his mouth was closed. No bad-mouthing, no mocking of the thought of conception at their old age, or pulling down, or talking in the streets about the message would be allowed.

So that set me thinking about how vitally important what we say or do not say to others makes such an incredible impact. We must be responsible with what we say to or about others. Words can be tools for building up or weapons for destruction. The weapon can be subtle and hidden, veiled in edification for our target's own good, or wide open out there for everyone to see, but what right do any of us have to pass judgement on the other, judgements often based on mere impressions.

Bullying? It is a dangerous thing and I have no tolerance for it. Bullying is happening in families, in churches, in neighborhoods, in schools, in the workplace - there is no place immune. But bullying is something that can be changed with awareness and teaching and building up. Bullying needs proper confrontation, and so I was pleased that the bullying of the anchorwoman was confronted by her husband and colleagues and used as an opportunity to bring to light the hurtful observations of the email. And it brought forward in support many people who most likely would have otherwise remained quiet.

Orange is the color of this October initiative and I will be pleased to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment