Monday, March 18, 2013

Please help me understand. I mean it. I am past my rage. Past my shock. Past my disdain. And past my personal offense. Or, at least let's say I'm past all that. For the sake of argument anyway.

But, truly, those of you who get it. Who support her. Those of you who have voted for her and would vote for her again, explain it to me. Explain to me why, when Sarah Palin speaks, the audience not only applauds but stands in ovation. WHY? I want to understand the answer. Why are people not outraged.

Because when I heard her speak just now, of it being the Christmas her husband got the gun and she got the rack I felt betrayed. I was betrayed. Every other woman who has ever lived and suffered because she did or did not have said "rack," or suffered and/or died because of the disease attacking said "rack" was also betrayed on some level. What happens when her rack is compromised? What will she have to say then? Her lack of depth of sensitivity and understanding is mind boggling.

And if I can apologize in some way for her having said it, I cannot apologize for an entire audience leaping in ovation after that comment when she then proceeds to mock the truly damaging effects of a Big Gulp. Of course, banning the Big Gulp seems over the top, but at least there is an effort to send the message that maybe we ought to think (does that happen much anymore?) before fueling our bodies with the stuff. Her message is destroy at will. We have the right to destroy at will. At least the destruction is tasty. And not so painful with a nice rack.

With her presentation a disservice has been done to women. A disservice has been done to children who look for role models. And the whole point of public service is ... well ... service. Not disservice.

So tell me why sucking on a Big Gulp with lips that have been prepped for presentation, why mocking an attempt at weaning ourselves from obesity and diabetes and sugar highs and mocking an attempt at setting a standard for health gets the standing ovation.

Tell me.

1 comment:

  1. Could you please send this to either the New York Times or to The Huffington Post or something that has a huge audience?

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete