Saturday, February 16, 2013

This may seem odd ... why would I have given any thought to this whatsoever. However, I just this morning (as I was cleaning the bathroom) became aware that I have spent a good portion of my adult life trying to like Bond. James Bond. It seems I should like him. I mean what's not to like of the adventuresome debonair fellow. But it has not only never clicked with me and James, I have actually had an aversion to him. I thought that with Skyfall I might have my chance to finally like him ... and I don't mean the premise, or the films, or the books, but the real person of James. I'd heard reviews saying this James is introspective. He's human. He has a few failures up his sleeve with all the other cards.

But after watching the Skyfall James, I am no more in like with him than ever, and our relationship may have taken a serious turn for the worse. Yes, he's more introspective, but seemingly only toward himself. It's all about him, what he has lost, what he has given up. I did not see any introspection toward whether he should continue with his license to kill or find other ways of ... well, negotiation, shall we say.

What really disturbs me, though, stems from a comment I made last night to my dear husband after we watched Skyfall. "I find it interesting that in this day of slave trafficking awareness, that Bond's girl was a victim of that. And instead of finding a way out for her, he used her sexually, too." And, I guess we think it's ok ... I mean, it's Bond after all. What woman would not want an encounter with him? And, with that, the sex slave business seems all the more appealing, sexy, alluring, desirable even. And it is not. A huge disservice has been done to the victims by the very gift to woman himself.

And therein lies the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment