Thursday, August 23, 2012

I couldn't help it. Upon learning that a new acquaintance is a nurse, the Glinda voice invaded my head and my first thought was "are you a good nurse or a bad nurse?"

All nurses work beyond what seems to me to be humanly possible so I really have not exactly a complaint as an observation stemming from my most recent two nights in the hospital.There are good nurses and there are bad nurses. Much of what defines each category can be affected by experience ... some things come only with experience. But baseline nurse entry point should be that they want to be there. If you don't want to be there, please don't try to humor me with your empty presence.

To the Bad Nurses: Folks are suffering dear ones. Condescension doesn't accomplish anything. Disregard, either. Showing greater fear over unexplained bleeding than your patient doesn't raise you in the ranks. Failing to do a little research to find an elusive answer to one of my questions only limits your own development and leaves me feeling like a non-essential being. Truly, we really don't expect perfection. We know honest mistakes happen and that often we simply cannot be the center of your shift. We know the job requires nearly superhuman efforts of intensity for the whoooooooole time you are working the floor. But, if you don't behave as if you care if I live or die, do I really want you bedside? Actually, strike that. You don't even have to care whether I live or die because I can't even begin to imagine being emotionally engaged in your job where loss swoops in regularly. Just don't imply that either/or is satisfactory ... we all want to be rooting for the same goal.

To the Good Nurses: Folks are suffering dear ones. Acknowledging there is a person with presence, history, and at least some sort of future before you lifts a heavy pall. Regarding your patients with honor and respect releases the need we have to prove ourselves worthy yet again. Offering assurance even if all indications are to panic sure does calm the weary soul. And keeping my question with you and coming back to me with an answer indicates to me that your patients stay with you even when you are absent from them, focusing yourself on edification, on the noble, on the helpful. You behave as if you care if I live or die. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment